1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What has happened to the JA Forums ??

Discussion in 'Talk About Anything' started by Len Green, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Len Green Member

Message Count:
    What has happened to the Forums ??

The VERY LAST post in the “Adventure Games” forums was ………. Hold it ……….
    ,…………… THREE & A HALF MOMTHS AGO !!??!!
  2. SirDave Member

Message Count:
    What are you looking at Len? There were posts today & yesterday and many posts in the last 3+ months. (Things are slow though, relatively speaking.)
  3. Len Green Member

Message Count:
    APOLOGIES !!
    The chronological order on “Adventure Games” seems to be flawed which led me astray !!
    Things are NOT NEARLY so bad !

However nothing shows up on my computer for either today (2-Jan-14 ~ 8:32 am Israel time) or yesterday.
    The latest post I see on that forum is from TEN days ago which is not TOO good but not terrible particularly since it covers the Xmas period where the majority of folk are probably celebrating rather than forum-ing !
    :~ ))
  4. CrisGer Member

Message Count:
    Yep we are still here, happy New year Len!
  5. Len Green Member

Message Count:
    Same to you Chris - plus regards ! :) :D
  6. Len Green Member

Message Count:
    The last post on this thread (which is relatively popular) was on January 12th 2014 unless I have missed something ?!?!
    Today is 23rd January 2014 i.e. about 11 days ago.
    Sluggish isn't the word !
  7. Caroline Member

Message Count:
    Well half the world is frozen and the other half's down at the beach.
  8. Len Green Member

Message Count:
    A totally inaccurate & misleading statement. Proper scientific stats available if needed !

In addition, huge areas of USA, Europe, UK, Middle East, Far East, and other regions in the world which together account for almost all of the Quest/Adventure players’ ‘public’ are VERRY far from either freezing or boiling.
    IMO, Caroline’s above post has next to nothing to do with the paucity of interest in the JA forums.
    Not everybody may think that this bad let alone a problem. But for those 8interested in thriving forums and particularly computer adventure game forums, rather than gossip, puerile trivia, and the like, this IS a problem for THE prime computer games site.

For people who believe that the above is NO problem, there is little more to be said.
    However, for those who think otherwise, the problem should at least be confronted or at the very least acknowledged otherwise it can NEVER be addressed.
    And to do this, a flippant silly remark made just for the sake of posting any old thing (or maybe just to be antagonistic ?!) is definitely *NOT* the way to go IMHO !
  9. Caroline Member

Message Count:
    honi soit qui mal y pense. And as you pense mal everywhere it makes me think it's pasted onto your glasses.
  10. Karla Administrator

Message Count:
    FWIW, I try not to bitch about something unless I have a suggestion that might improve things. And I try not to offer a suggestion unless I'm prepared to follow through on it, if possible and appropriate.

IMO, simply complaining doesn't make anything better. If anything, its negativity can have an adverse effect.
  11. Len Green Member

Message Count:
    You are (as usual) mixing me up with somebody else. I am not even a remotest member of the your (ex ??) British “royal(?)” family –nor would I want to be even if you paid me highly for it !!

I think you are somewhat obsessed with underwear …… just a short while ago you demanded that I do not “Get my knickers in a twist” hehe !
    Now you fling art me the (French) motto of the Garter which amongst other things is inscribed in the royal coat of arms.

at me – HaHaHa !
    Got nothing better to do with your time ? :( :p :eek:
  12. Lady Kestrel Member

Message Count:
    Len,
    People have posted in other threads recently. Did you ever think that your negative attitude might be one reason that people might not want to post here? Caroline was making a joke.
  13. Lucien21 Member

Message Count:
    The posts are certainly way down for me since I stuck whitshisface on my ignore list and I don't see anything he posts.

Lot more pleasant as well.

I guess from the half I can see up above means he went off on Caroline again.:rolleyes:
  14. inm8#2 Member

Message Count:
    I find Len's posts to be... interesting. :)
  15. CB Member

Message Count:
    Did that months ago, tired of the same song ad nauseam.
  16. Len Green Member

Message Count:
    I see – or do I ?
    When there is an obvious glaring even dangerous problem, do you for Goodness sake mention it and try to influence others to be aware and maybe even take some form of actions, or do you deliberately keep your eyes & ears firmly shut against the situation ?! pretend it will go away – but it doesn’t but seems to gradually get worse as one after the other tried & trusted members slip away into JA-Limbo !

First & foremost, do you agree that there IS a problem ? No posts whatsoever during a dozen days in one of the two most popular forums. Without broadcasting actual staggering figures, compare this situation with that of the other two main influential Quest-Adventure games Webzines which are bursting with new members and thriving with posts !!
    If the JA forums continue to dwindle it may p-possibly lead to the closing own of the JA-Forums as being a financial & technical liability – I hope not… but you never know; so many games locations have gone belly-up lately !!
    BTW :- “Bitching” smells to me like a loaded-word. I get the impression that it implies not simply complaining but criticizing needlessly where theories absolutely no grounds for complaint or warning etc. It is a word I have never used – maybe because it is American and not (originally anyhow) English ?!!?

IMO, simply complaining doesn't make anything better. If anything, its negativity can have an adverse effect

There is very little I CAN do unless other members support some changes in attitude. Nevertheless I do whatever little I can ! I try to inform other members of the poor & degenerating in the hope that we can improve matters and attract more open minded new members (and ‘keep’ them). I contribute as much as I can to the site in the form of wakthru’s, Savethru’s, game opinions & reviews etc. Some members contribute absolutely nothing positive and some of these happily accuse me of negativity – talk about a travesty !! One in particular does not even play computer games any more – others hardly any !!
    I also try to advocate the posting of less non-game matters and an increase in gaming subjects. After all, the trivia, YouTube, amateur photo, gossip, “news” items we all get in over abundance from other media.

My ‘criticism’ is IMHO a constructive one – not adestructive !!!A
  17. Len Green Member

Message Count:
    As you probably know (??) I am not the greatest admirer of Caroline's 'jokes'. When applied to me they always have VERY nasty overtone (&/or undertones) to them – nor does it seem that these (or her non-game trivia) contribute ANYTHING to the well being of JA !!

Her latest crack re the order of the garter was quite unfunny guaranteed to make folk retch rather than laugh.
    The one before that was a ghastly travesty !
    I spread the word around to half a dozen acquaintances without revealing ANY source.
    Not one of the 6 found it in the tiniest bit funny or even minimally amusing.
    The feed back only included “Horrendous”, “Terrible”, shocking”., “disgusting”, etc.
  18. Caroline Member

Message Count:
    quote="Len Green, post: 3847, member: 63"]I see – or do I ?
    When there is an obvious glaring even dangerous problem, do you for Goodness sake mention it and try to influence others to be aware and maybe even take some form of actions, or do you deliberately keep your eyes & ears firmly shut against the situation ?!
    And your solution to a small membership is what, exactly? As you frequently post this kind of complaint I can only marvel at the serious and inexplicable reluctance of reading guests to join up and enter the fray.

one after the other tried & trusted members slip away into JA-Limbo !
    Some of us are in frequent contact with other members of this forum elsewhere and even with some of those missing members so we don't mistake their absence from here as being 'in limbo'. They are in fact having fun and living life. Young people grow up and move on and get jobs and have children, etc and they actually don't have time to play games let along chat about them.

First & foremost, do you agree that there IS a problem ? No posts whatsoever during a dozen days in one of the two most popular forums. Without broadcasting actual staggering figures, compare this situation with that of the other two main influential Quest-Adventure games Webzines which are bursting with new members and thriving with posts !!
    Perhaps the owners of JA need to promote their website more aggressively to attract the number of new members that you would find satisfactory. Have you taken up your concerns with them? Have you made useful suggestions to them? Meanwhile, if you are a member in these other places, perhaps you would have more entertainment participating there?

If the JA forums continue to dwindle it may p-possibly lead to the closing own of the JA-Forums as being a financial & technical liability – I hope not…
    We all hope not, that is a given.

BTW :- “Bitching” smells to me like a loaded-word. I get the impression that it implies not simply complaining but criticizing needlessly where theories absolutely no grounds for complaint or warning etc. It is a word I have never used – maybe because it is American and not (originally anyhow) English ?!!?

IMO, simply complaining doesn't make anything better. If anything, its negativity can have an adverse effect

It's a shame you don't actually understand what Karla is saying there.

There is very little I CAN do unless other members support some changes in attitude.
    What can you mean You wish to alter the way people here think? Er.... forcibly or with enticements?

I try to inform other members of the poor & degenerating
    Yes we noticed. It's like listening to a funeral dirge over and over ~ very depressing.

attract more open minded new members (and ‘keep’ them). I contribute as much as I can to the site in the form of wakthru’s, Savethru’s, game opinions & reviews etc.
    Oh you do much more than that. You take pot shots at me and accuse me of all sorts of malicious intent when everyone else can see that I am merely making a light-hearted comment. You deconstruct and misread everything I say as if it is garbage and you are the man with the broom.

Some members contribute absolutely nothing positive and some of these happily accuse me of negativity – talk about a travesty !!
    Let's see - are you taking aim at Lucien now or Karla?

One in particular does not even play computer games any more – others hardly any !!
    ooooooohhh..... a Nazi hunt. Let's find out who the offending member is and expose and then EXPEL them. Fancy not playing games anymore - the nerve of them still coming here to hang out. Oh, btw, it's not me, bad luck. But I will tell you that Mark's life has become so busy now that he cannot find time to keep up with the latest games and recently told me that he feels that he doesn't belong in this forum anymore. That makes me sad. His quirky sense of humour is much appreciated and missed by a lot of us.

I also try to advocate the posting of less non-game matters and an increase in gaming subjects.
    Yes, you would do that. You're trying to control what people talk about. Although it's baffling that you have this opinion now yet you battled a one man crusade for years to be allowed to discuss politics and religion again, which btw, are NOT gaming related subjects.

A community needs common activity to survive and sometimes friendships or at least fond familiarity grows amongst members of long standing and they enjoy the occasional less serious comment. You would put a stop to that. What a silly idea. If you hate it so much stay away from that particular forum and then you won't be offended by the sight of other people being friendly and having a laugh or telling jokes you don't understand.
  19. Colpet Member

Message Count:
    There's an ignore list? (...... goes off to check profile settings...)
  20. Karla Administrator

Message Count:
    Is there a wall around here that I can smash my head against? :confused: