1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technical advice

Discussion in 'Everything but Adventure Games' started by Halcyon, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Halcyon

Halcyon Member

What do you do about storage? Cloud, Dropbox? From what I've read, SSDs are faster (if you really need it) but much less storage at a higher price. I'm having trouble rationalizing my relaxed game addiction at the expense of less storage and higher price, all in a technology I have no knowledge of. SSDs (flash) wear out and have other features I simply do not know how to control, plus you have to know which version to purchase, MLC vs SLC.

A 10,000 RPM hard drive certainly has to have advantages. And what's with Velocraptor? Sounds pretty good to me.

Yeah, I don't see the value. I'm investing $460 in a vid card and a lot in other major features. Whether the hard drive is quiet or not or loads my stuff a millisecond quicker at double the cost and a third of the storage doesn't interest me.

My son tried to make the same argument. He is a tech school grad and just bought a new rig....with no SSD.

Any other tips?

2. Stiler

Stiler Member

Well my SSD isn't used for storage really. I have a separate WD 1tb black drive for storage that I use for that purpose.

The SSD I use for windows and I put my newest games on it that I am playing at the moment so I get the most benefit from it.

Older games or huge ones that I don't play much I just throw onto the WD drive and if I get the itch to really dive into one I can just move it over to the SSD.

SSD's are just simply all around better drives vs the 10k raptor. Faster, Quiet, don't take as much power/generate as much heat.

I'm not even using a newer SSD, mine is a couple of years old now and the newer SSD's are even faster/better (not to mention cheaper then back then).

If you are looking to get a hard drive mainly for "storage" and reliability" the 10k raptor's aren't known for lasting a long time either, especially if you intend to use it in a raid setup.

If speed isn't that important to you (or noise, etc) I'd suggest looking into a good 7200rpm drive that has a good warranty and is known for being a reliable long-lasting drive.

Though it's always good to have at least two hard drives and backup your important things every so often, I learned that the hard way, never built a pc after that without having two hdd's.

3. Halcyon

Halcyon Member

Thanks, Stiler. Yeah, I learned about having a backup drive the hard way, too. Now I used an external drive, a huge thumbstick, and Dropbox, lol.

I'll let you know what I end up with.

4. Halcyon

Halcyon Member

I had to make compromises to stay on budget ($1200). I bought it through CyberPowerPC (great sales and service). IBUYPOWER handled my order in a sketchy way that would take a week to be "approved." I canceled.

I got a rig similar to the one above, except with 16 GB 1866 RAM, Intel i7 4820 Quad Core, GIGABYTE X79-UP4 ATX motherboard, no SSD but a 2 TB 7200 (that's an easy upgrade later, as is RAM speed), and I have an AMD Radeon 7970 card (another great upgrade candidate later) which rocks. I got a badass tall, white case that I love.

I also checked all the components and they are top-brand (Corsair, etc.) as advertised and are clean and new.

Thanks for your input, very helpful.

5. Tincup2

Tincup2 Member

I had a very good experience with them too. I configured and bought a gaming rig with them; not too expensive, performance parts, well built and nothing died early or acted weird. Their tech staff was responsive to issues I had reinstalling the OS in a RAID configuration - so basically I had no complaints. This was a while ago now, so it appears they must be doing something right - Good luck!

6. CB

CB Member

Any thoughts or comments in choosing the Ivy-Bridge over the Haswell?

7. Halcyon

Halcyon Member

CB, sorry my reply is so late. At my level of computer usage, it really doesn't matter much. I don't stress computers, I don't overclock them, and I just want to zoom through my adventure and action games without any major issues with the best graphics I can afford. When my computer no longer does that, or it dies, I buy a new one (fingers crossed for the future) and move on.

Actually my last computer, two cores 2.8 ghz, HD 6870 card, 8GB RAM, was serving me very well, until that crashing issue popped up that experts couldn't solve for me. We all concluded it was an undiagnosed motherboard issue.

Sorry I can't be more enlightening.

8. CB

CB Member

Your response does indeed sound perfectly logical. Actually I should be the one to apologize as at the time I posted on the subject I had hardly begun looking into all the reviews, comparisons, and video presentations related to the subject which by nature seems to be virtually endless and usually non-enlightening. Considering that at best I only understood half the techno lingo ultimately I let my wallet make the decisions. Just arrived I now have a big box of new computer parts minus a GPU for now because honestly I really want to get to see the limitations of that very same old one you mentioned. I've compiled an arsenal of tutorials that, fingers crossed, will end with a successful upgrade.

9. Halcyon

Halcyon Member

PCs are so powerful these days, I'm sure they are overkill on the majority of games. GPU is important, as are RAM and CPU. Since most of my games are via Steam (which I hate, BTW) I don't worry about SSD or disk speed so much. Internet speed is a concern, so I load a NIC card, rather than using any on-board solution. But, yeah, vid card is a biggie and worth an upgrade, especially on a new rig. I love the AMD Radeon HD 7970 I have. Nvidia and I have never gotten along.

Good luck!