1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

realMyst Masterpiece Edition

Discussion in 'Adventure Games' started by Karla, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Tincup2

Tincup2 Member

@ Karla. If you have the original realMyst the new version isn't strictly necessary. But it definitely feels higher res, has new textures and graphic effects and is a treat for sure. Not too bad for $18. The completist in me could not resist.

The Masterpiece version also features an additional movement mode called "Classical Myst" which literally walks you from node to node, turns and all. This solves the disorienting, "getting lost" issue you mention, and for those of us who tend to prefer point and click in our AGs, it's a welcome addition. However WASD does allow you to roam wherever you please, which is nice too.

2. Karla

Karla Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the info, Tincup! :)

3. markornikov

markornikov Member

did realmyst always feature a day-night cycle? I love seeing the island doused in orange at dusk.

Not sure weather nighttime is also there, i'm not that far in yet.

4. Tincup2

Tincup2 Member

yes it does, but I don't think it's quite as spectacular. I just fired up the GOG rM for a side by side comparison with ME: the GOG version is completely satisfactory but lacks the new level of detail and crispness, conveying a slightly different mood as a result - a tad more forlorn and gloomy. But I need to get further into ME to really judge all this..

5. Halcyon

Halcyon Member

It's gorgeous. My first inclination was to play classic point and click (of which I am not a fan, but this is a classic game). But I want to explore and see things I haven't seen before, so I may not. I have a new rig with Intel i7, 16GB RAM, and HD 7970 card. Oblivion knocked my socks off on this machine. realMyst is even more gorgeous. Skyrim looks much better, but I don't think anything can save that art. My trick in Skyrim is to turn saturation way up....but I digress. Tomorrow, Sunday, is my realMyst day. I'm off Monday, so I can kick back and live it.

PS: Win 7, 64 bit Home Premium. Love it.

Tincup2 likes this.
  6. SirDave

SirDave Member

I'm relegated to the iPad updated realMyst, but after going through the initial stages after being away from Myst for some time, I couldn't help being (once again) amazed at how far ahead of their time the developers were given that the original development was 1991-1993, over 20 years ago! Even though the Masterpiece edition of RM is enhanced over the original, it still uses the original core images and music. Whether the oriiginal Myst or RM, the whole thing- imagery, music, backstory, puzzles, overall atmosphere- have IMO never been equaled by any single game that I know of other than perhaps some of the other games in the Myst cycle (eg. Riven, Myst 3 Exile).

7. Halcyon

Halcyon Member

Myst was my first PC game in 1995 or '96 and, after years of Atari, it blew me away, changing my pursuits forever. And, yes, few games hold up to the beauty, mystery, intrigue, and playability of Myst. Sure the puzzles were difficult, but whether you wrestled with them our received help, the unique and compelling experience was not tarnished. And its sequels carried on the amazing tradition. I might just pull out my big box Riven and see what it looks like.

Riven likes this.
  8. markornikov

markornikov Member

The game is making me realise how unobeservant and unlogical I was when I was as a kid.

I always had a hard time figuring matching the slider settings with the piano sounds, to access the Selentic Age, as i'm tone deaf

9. Riven

Riven New Member

OK, I'm almost ready to take the plunge into STEAM. I'm very UN-savvy when it comes to downloads, uploads, and the rest. If I sign up and purchase this next generation of RealMyst (I do have the older version of RealMyst), will it be easy to get it from where it is, set it up and play it? Can it be also transferred over to another one of our computers to play like you could with the discs? Can I replay it at a later date? Will it get blown away at some point in time and made unavailable for me to play? I do like the option of having a boxed hard copy of games rather than having them site somewhere in .... wherever. Anyone used STEAM and know how to instruct a novice about this? Would love some help. Thanx :confused:

Gosh, I do wish this would happen to RIVEN my all time favorite game. Sigh!;)

10. markornikov

markornikov Member

After purchase, there's an option to download right away. Otherwise it's very straightforward to install a game from the steam library.
    You can install a game on different computers, but you can only play on one of them at the same time.
    A game never dissappears from steam, even if it isn't sold anymore, one can still install and play it.
    The chance that steam shuts down is very unlikely, it's more likely a physical copy becomes damaged over time.

Steam is one of the least intrusive applications for digital downloads, installation is smooth and shouldn't pose any problems.

11. Tincup2

Tincup2 Member

It's pretty simple. The first step is to start a Steam account. This involves downloading their app and setting you user name/password. I'd say it's possible to do without any help other than the Steam instructions.

Payment for games: I use PayPal but you can charge it to a CC if you prefer.

12. Riven

Riven New Member

Thank you Karla for the welcome back...
    I have Windows 7 and an HP, something or another and the other one is similar so I should be OK with playing it on either. I think I understand it to play very close to the prior RealMyst but this one has some extra features maybe?I can't WAIT to re-submerge myself in the atmosphere of one of my favorite games. Riven is my all-time though.

13. parakeet

parakeet Member

Haven't played Myst since I think the first two games. I may look into this, because the graphics were so beautiful. ;)

14. Riven

Riven New Member

You will be AMAZED and mesmerized by it's beauty.

15. Val

Val Member

Avaka! I remember you! :D

Who? SirDavie? :D :D

Ok, I'm to the StoneShip age after being on Myst and the Mechanical Age. I am completely blown away by the graphics. I never got far in realMyst due to crashes but I indeed notice the upgrade in visuals. It's been so many years since I played the original Myst. I had forgotten what a moody, gloomy, wonderful game it was. I'm with all the others - how far ahead of it's time was Myst...
    Happy Happy girl!! :D :D

16. Val

Val Member

Just finished the game. Gorrrrggggeous visuals. So moody. I enjoyed the night cycle but wished it was shorter.

Navigating was a bit of a pain a few times - I was in "roam" mode but sometimes it would get "stuck" and all I could do was go forward and backward. I'd have to switch to classic navigation in settings, go back to the screen I was on, move a couple of times, then go back to settings and switch back to roam mode.

Had issues with the save screen, too. The dragging of the game screen to the save slot was a chore. It seemed that the new save square of the game had to be almost exactly on top of the slot or it just didn't do anything.

I never realized how "dumb" I was when I played Myst back in the day. Puzzles made more sense to me now. :)

So glad they made and I got to play realMyst ME since I never could play realMyst due to crashes. Water effects, sky, plants, so so pretty.

Now... need this done for Riven!! :D

17. Karla

Go Val!! Wooooooooot! :)
    With Win8 compatibility...please...I beg you. :p

18. CrisGer

CrisGer Member

well i got it too but have not had time to try it yet. will check out at least the main island tonight once i wake up

Riven is being worked on but by a two man fan team, not cyan not yet.

19. Karla

There you are, Chris! How nice to see you again. ;)

Now wake up and start playing!!! :)

20. CrisGer

CrisGer Member

hmmm ok. still catching up on sleep but..

i forget how to set the generators grrrrr.....