1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I knew it wouldn't take long

Discussion in 'With A Little Help From My Friends' started by Caroline, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Caroline

Caroline Active Member

I have just broken my new OS. :eek:

I was trying to import my saved library of music when suddenly every desktop icon changed to a musical note. When I found the microsoft fix for LNK issues (this appears to be a familiar event for lots of Win7 users) it wouldn't unpack properly due to system error.

Now, I know I am playing Hunt the Red October with a stow-away called snap-do that has so far evaded all the missiles I've thrown at it but I'm now exasperated. System restore wouldn't work either.

And we were getting along so well.

Can anyone please help? Also what is the difference between media player and media centre?

I'm finding it very hard to get around without the familiar little icons.

Edit - well that will teach me. Some XP programs simply DO NOT play nicely with W7. Where on earth did the delete post button go?

2. SirDave

SirDave Active Member

I can't help with this problem, but I will repeat an oft-recommended method to get out of these problems. Once you get the above problem fixed save an image of Drive C. It's quite easy and with Win7 you don't have to buy a program to do it- it's built in: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/back-up-programs-system-settings-files#1TC=windows-7

If you can get into the habit of doing this every so often, the above type of problem could be easily fixed by restoring your last drive image.

3. CB

CB Member

That's a great suggestion as my Win7 installation is only two days old.

4. Caroline

Caroline Active Member

Thanks SirDave. I wish I was the cautious, advance-planning type but you know me.... rush in and smack the walls at full speed. :oops:

I let Windows suggest a restore point that involved losing a recently installed program called PhotoStory. It was a Microsoft program that I had used for years on my XP and I wanted it again, not least because I have made a bunch of slideshows with it. For some reason it installed itself in the media player which then grabbed ownership of every other program. I literally couldn't open anything because it tried to use media player to do that. Apparently PhotoStory was written especially for XP. Now that my system is 64 bit as opposed to 34 bit (still have no clue what that means btw) I have read that my old version of Adobe Creative Suite 2 isn't going to work either. So I'm currently without a photo editing program and I'm really in need of some advice abut which one is best - but preferably also free.

There was a time - back in the 80s when I was actually right up to date with computers but they keep changing the rules. :confused:

5. CrisGer

CrisGer Member

I suggest going back to XP. I never left.

6. Spiritogre

Spiritogre Member

I know I'm not much help there, because I don't know Photo Story, but I'm almost sure you did something wrong when installing it.

What I can tell you is, that Adobe CS2 works fine on Win 7 64 Bit and even on Win 8. Whoever said something different is wrong! I have it installed on my notebook with Win 7 64Bit.

However, the registration servers for CS 2 are offline! You need the special serial numbers from the Adobe website and also the program files to have all updates to install it. Probably that was the reason some people thought it doesn't run on Win 7 when they switched system and wanted to reinstall CS 2 after some years?

7. Caroline

Caroline Active Member

[sigh].... it seems my graphics card may be dying. The screen goes black momentarily, I get the no video signal message, and then it comes back on with an error message informing my my display driver stopped working but has now recovered. I've visited Nvidia's site and downloaded the latest drivers for the card but it makes no difference.

It's a Win7 pc and I don't play fighting games so can anyone recommend a decent mid-range graphics card? I don't want to be at the mercy of the man in the shop's suggestions.

edit: erm.... I just looked up drivers for my monitor which is Hitachi cm715 and it said the drivers were compatible with XP and Vista but not Win 7. I guess there aren't many modern computers hooked up to CRT monitors. Could this be the problem - software too stuck up to work with ancient hardware?

8. CB

CB Member

If this happened to me I would first test it with my flat panel TV which has inputs for both HDMI and USB.

9. Helen

Helen Member

I have a graphics card still in the box, as Im looking at the box it says, ATI Xtasy 9200 256MB 8X AGP, 2D/3D graphics accelerator I know its been lying around in the box for probably at least 5 years does anyone know ( well Im sure someone here does, just not me. :rolleyes::)) if that would do Caroline any good? If it would I would be happy to send it off to you Caroline if you didnt mind having to wait for as long as it would take to get over to you. It says it supports old school crt's.

10. Caroline

Caroline Active Member

You're a sweetheart Helen but let's see how this thing pans out. I should do some researech about which cards are compatible with my m/b.

If I didn't already know I can't survive without my pc, I'd give it all up and go back to books! But I've just gained access to the Deep Island shard that is a fan-made spin off from Uru and I've discovered a whole heap of multi-player places to explore and puzzles I don't stand a chance of solving...

11. Helen

Helen Member

Well, if you can use it, its yours. Just another one of the many things I found packed away and forgot we even had it. :rolleyes:

12. Caroline

Caroline Active Member

Helen, I've looked up my current graphics card and it's 3 times more powerful than the card you've discovered in your boxes, so thank you very much but I shall decline your kind offer. Since renewing the drivers, the incidents have become less frequent but I still think we're due a visit to the man in the shop very soon.

13. Helen

Helen Member

Oh good, I'm glad its at least working for you for now. I figured the card I found would be to out of date, but then again you never know. :)

14. Fnord

Fnord Member

See if you can completely uninstall your current graphics card drivers and do a clean install of the new ones. While just updating the drivers works fine 99.9% of the time, sometimes broken leftovers can still cause issues.

15. CrisGer

CrisGer Member

I hope things improve Caroline..i am cheering for you...