1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fantasy World/Sci Fi Adventure Games

Discussion in 'Adventure Games' started by Val, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Maum New Member

Message Count:
    Absolutely! Yes it is a slow game but unravelling the mysteries of Saxton was incredibly engrossing and rewarding. I know there was a debate about the love-it-or-hate-it ending but it was one of the few games that stayed with me days after I finished it.
    It also had some very creepy moments.
  2. bonsai Member

Message Count:
    I was thinking about immersion more along the lines of Val's taste Like Myst, Dreamfall, Schizm Etc.........but you're right. The Lost Crown is an excellent game, which I suggested she play. Immersion is subjective..........just my opinion.
  3. Jenny100 Member

Message Count:
    Which is why I said "I thought..." rather than categorically stating that "it is..."
    Hopefully Val will find The Lost Crown as immersive as I did.
  4. mbday630 Member

Message Count:
    I guess I am thinking different when I think of fantasy world. I just watched Kung Fu Panda (My favorite movie of all time) and that is fantasy. When I think of Myst, River, Syberia etc. I don't think of fantasy. That looks to me that it could be a real world. Just different ideas of what fantasy means, I guess.
  5. Tincup2 Member

Message Count:
    Mbday - I think 'fantasy' is being used in the more conventional sense of the word as in unreal, invented, wondrous, or visionary - rather than the magical-heroic-supernatural connotation it usually has when discussing games and sci-fi/fantasy literature.
  6. Fnord Member

Message Count:
    Fantasy can mean everything between these wondrous & strange worlds, like that of Death Gate (which got an adventure game) or something far more mundane like a modern setting with some magic thrown in (modern fantasy), or a medieval setting with the odd mage or troll wandering around, but where most of the setting is grounded in (semi-)realism (low fantasy).
  7. Val Member

Message Count:
    Going to install Lost Crown this weekend and give it a whirl.

Fantasy/sci fi for me in games is anything not-everyday-reality. Whether the world be another planet, dimension, have magic, fantasical plants/creatures and so forth. Some world/atmostphere "different" to look and deal with. Places to suspend belief so to speak. Feasts for my eyes. I'm horrible at describing so please forgive me. It's all in my head and usually doesn't make it to output like it is in my head. :)
  8. Tincup2 Member

Message Count:
    Yes, all this... and in this sense it's my favorite AG genre. But I'm reluctant to use the word since it immediately conjures up images of trolls and magi which I don't particularly go for in gaming - reading yes, gaming no.

I just started The Cat Lady - very good so far and thank god for Indie game makers!
  9. Tincup2 Member

Message Count:
  10. Val Member

Message Count:
    ???
  11. Jenny100 Member

Message Count:
    Val,
    Some sort of bot posted a message full of gobbleygook. That's probably what Tincup2 said wtf to.
    Then the gobbleygooky message (and hopefully the bot's membership) were deleted, leaving us with a dangling wtf.
  12. Tincup2 Member

Message Count:
    haha correct... it reads very oddly with the bot post removed... like I'm pissed off or something... But I'll get all wound up one way or another...
  13. Lady Kestrel Member

Message Count:
    It just looks like you found yourself in the middle of a thread, Tincup, and were wondering how you got there.:D
  14. Maum New Member

Message Count:
    Just finished Dreamfall. What a story...
  15. Val Member

Message Count:
    I didn't start Lost Crown after all. Installed Book of Unwritten Tales instead and have to say, I'm liking it a lot. Not far yet - just about to go over the bridge after helping grandpa and on to more adventures. :D