1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Culpa Innata on Windows 8

Discussion in 'Hints and Tips' started by Karla, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Karla Administrator

Message Count:
    I'm not really looking for help; I'm just here to offer information.

Yesterday, I succeeded in getting Culpa Innata Uncut to run on Windows 8. I played some of it, saved, exited, went back in and played a little more. It worked perfectly.

I've learned through experience not to get excited when something works on Win8 because it won't necessarily keep working.

Bingo. Today, Culpa Innata won't even start. Instead, this is spit in my face:

FATAL ERROR!
    DirectSound initialization failed!

Then it freezes. Task Manager is of no use and I'm obliged to either reboot or execute an turn off/turn back on maneuver.

I'd made no changes to my system between yesterday's gameplay success and today's gameplay failure.

Windows 8 is so amusing. Hear me laugh: ha-ha-ha.

Windows 8 does whatever it wants. It's a monumental PoS. Do everything you possibly can to avoid it. (I also suggest not buying a Dell computer. Ever.)
  2. InlandAZ Member

Message Count:
    DirectSound was depreciated in DX10 and above - try installing the latest version of DX9c and see if the issue goes away.
  3. Karla Administrator

Message Count:
    Thanks, Inland.

I know next to nothing about DirectX, so I need to ask a dumb question. Does it matter that the Microsoft page for DirectX® End-User Runtime 9.0c at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35 says the following?

Note that the DirectX Runtime (Direct3D, DirectInput, DirectSound) is not part of this package as it is included as part of the Windows operating system, and therefore cannot be installed or uninstalled. Updating the DirectX Runtime is achieved by installing the latest Service Pack or obtaining a newer version of Windows.

I realize I'm looking for a previous version rather than an update (Win8 has DX11), so am I even looking in the right place for the right thing? I sure don't want to mess up Win8 any worse than it's already messed up.

I still don't understand how Culpa Innata could have worked fine just after I installed it if a component it needs in order to run properly is missing. That's quite a trick.

Hang on...

Just for the hell of it, I tried the game again. This time it started, but presented a rapidly flickering picture. Fiddling with the settings made no difference (I didn't really expect that it would). Ooooh, strobe lights, just like the '60s! I got no error message.The sound was fine.

Such a scamp, that Windows 8!! Hear me laugh again: ha-ha-ha. And again, I'll say this: Windows 8 does whatever it wants. It's also highly toxic and should not be ingested by anything even resembling a computer (especially a DELL computer, which is toxic enough already).
  4. InlandAZ Member

Message Count:
    That's news to me - maybe that's why some have issues and others don't. I'd try the End-User-Runtime distribution, it's a bit on the large side for a download, but doesn't contain any references to excluded components.
  5. Karla Administrator

Message Count:
    Thanks for the feedback, Inland, I'm glad I asked about it. ;)
  6. InlandAZ Member

Message Count:
  7. Karla Administrator

Message Count:
    Thank you for the tip! Unfortunately, at this point I'd rather have my fingernails pulled out with pliers while having a root canal than install Windows 8.1. :eek: